Major Environmental Protection Consultancy Project Opportunity in Serbia

The European Bank for Investment and Development (EBRD) invites consultancies to express interest in helping state power utility EPS implement environmental

protection project at Kolubara coal mines.

The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), invites international consultancies to submit expressions of interest by September 21, to assist Serbian state power utility Elektroprivreda Srbije (EPS) to improve environmental protection at coal mining complex Rudarski Basen Kolubara.

Among other responsibilities, the future consultant will deliver assistance to EPS’ project implementation unit, in drafting and reviewing tender documents, provide assistance in procuring works, goods and services, and review site preparation and the contractor’s engineering drawings.

Interested consultants must prove a total annual turnover of over EUR 3 million for each of the last three years and meet a range of other requirements.

Shortlisted candidates will be invited to submit binding bids.  The assignment is expected to begin in January, 2012, and last 40 months.

 The EBRD is expected to provide an EUR 80 million loan for the Kolubara project, while Germany’s state development bank KfW has pledged a EUR 74 million loan.

The funding from the EBRD and KfW will cover 85% of the overall project costs, with the remaining 15% coming from EPS own sources.

The project will help Kolubara extract natural resources more cleanly and efficiently, supply lignite of uniform quality to its existing client power plants, and reduce air emissions associated with coal extraction.

Kolubara supplies EPS with 75% of lignite that fires the company’s thermal power plants TE Nikola Tesla (TENT) A and B and Morava, which, in turn, produce over 50% of electricity consumed in Serbia.

Source: Executive Newsletter Aug 23 2011, Serbia

More info on this opportunity is available on the EBRD’s website