Across the sector, the challenge of recruitment and retention is widely viewed as an industry-wide priority. In recent months the Transport Industry Skills Strategy (TISS) and the Rail Supply Group (RSG) Sector Strategy have both sought to address this, with high speed rail identified as a primary opportunity to upskill the industry and diversify the sort of people that it attracts, to ensure we are tapping into the widest possible talent pool.
The High Speed Rail Industry Leaders free conference in Birmingham will look to explore how the industry can encourage diversity in the rail sector by:
- improving the profile of engineering to attract the brightest and the best
- addressing the gender imbalance and attracting more women
- addressing the gap between school leavers and entering college
- raising the visibility of apprenticeships in the rail sector
Chaired by BBC journalist and presenter Steph McGovern, the conference will provide the opportunity to discuss some of the key issues and develop a clear industry-wide response to this challenge.
Confirmed speakers and panelists include:
- Secretary of State for Transport, Rt Hon Patrick McLoughlin MP
- Beth West, Commercial Director, HS2 Ltd
- Henrik Anderberg, HS2 Director, Alstom
- Paul Jackson, Chief Executive, Engineering UK
- Allie MacAdam, Bechtel, High Speed Rail Industry Leaders
- Nigel Harris, Managing Editor, Rail Magazine
- Professor Felix Schmid, University of Birmingham
- Maggie Philbin, TV & Radio Personality
In addition, following engagement activity with the rail supply chain, and the publication of High Speed Rail: Grasping the Opportunity – High Speed Rail Industry Leaders intend to use the conference as an opportunity to announce a tangible commitment from our members to help address the industry’s skills challenge.
Places are limited, offered on a first come first served basis. Find out how to register your interest on our Events calendar.