Sandwell Energy Switch (and energy saving tips)
We know the energy crisis is hitting households and businesses hard. Register for free with Sandwell Energy Switch to see whether you can reduce your gas and electricity bills. We’ve also got some simple energy-saving tips for you.
How does Sandwell Energy Switch work?
By registering with Sandwell Energy Switch you can benefit from the bargaining power of a large group. Once you have registered, an energy auction is held where suppliers compete for the opportunity to offer registrants the lowest energy tariff.
Currently, standard variable tariffs, limited by Ofgem’s Price Cap, are the best option. Fixed tariffs remain significantly higher and therefore do not offer opportunities to save when switching away from a variable tariff.
So, for now, Sandwell Energy Switch is taking a flexible approach to energy auctions instead of having a fixed auction date. During this time, the team is closely monitoring the energy market to determine if there is a point at which they could hold an auction which could deliver a potential saving opportunity for you. The goal is to look for offers that will fix your prices at a reasonable level.
If you register, Sandwell Energy Switch will contact you as soon as they have an offer that might be of interest to you. At that stage you’ll be able to update your details so you receive an accurate offer when an auction takes place.
What is the Sandwell Energy Switch process?
Register: Registration is quick, free and without obligation.
Auction: Sandwell Energy Switch holds a reverse auction with pre-vetted suppliers, who compete to offer registrants the most competitive price.
Personal offer: Registrants receive a detailed, but easy to understand personal offer. There is no obligation to switch once you receive your personal offer.
You decide: Registrants decide if they want to accept the offer. Sandwell Energy Switch has a dedicated helpdesk on hand to answer any questions. This service is operated by a company called iChoosr and can be contacted via the free phone number 0800 048 8116.
For businesses, the process is simple – just register your interest. Registering an interest will allow an offer to be made at an appropriate time depending on existing arrangements with your energy supplier(s).
Find out more
Sandwell Energy Switch will handle the entire switching process for residents and businesses so you don’t have to do anything. Registrants will then be able to take control of their energy costs through the collective energy switches.
To register for the Sandwell Energy Switch, whether you are a householder or a business owner, go to www.sandwell.gov.uk/energyswitch
See also the Sandwell Energy Savers page – giving advice and support on all things to do with energy. It provides links to tips on how to make properties more energy efficient, plus advice on switching energy suppliers. It provides information about schemes that can help keep people warm.
Tips for keeping your energy bills as low as possible
- Check your thermostat – turning it down just one degree will save you money, but heat your home to at least 18°C (65°F) to stay warm
- Replace bulbs with LEDs – they use only half the electricity
- Plug those gaps – a simple draught excluder can help
- Wash clothes more efficiently – do full washes at lower temperatures
- Only boil the water you need – the more water you boil the more energy you use
- Don’t leave your devices on standby – this can save up to £40 a year
- Use your radiator thermostats – turn off heating in unused rooms
- Bleed your radiators – this makes them become more energy efficient
- Insulate your hot water cylinder – a hot water jacket could save around £40 a year
- Keep an eye on your boiler pressure – if it’s too low your boiler will be inefficient.
This page was updated in November 2022